Dr. Marshall Goldsmith has been recognized as one of the Top Ten Business Thinkers in the World and the top-rated executive coach at the Thinkers50 ceremony in London since 2011. Published in 2015, his book Triggers is a Wall Street Journal and New York Times #1 Bestseller! He’s also the author of New York Times bestseller and #1 Wall Street Journal Business Book What Got You Here Won’t Get You There, winner of the Harold Longman Award as Best Business Book of the Year. With a PhD from UCLA, Marshall is a pioneer 360-degree feedback as a leadership development tool. His early efforts in providing feedback and then following-up with executives to measure changes in behavior were precursors to what eventually evolved as the field of executive coaching. With nearly 40 years of hands-on experience, Marshall Goldsmith is the leading expert on leadership and coaching for behavioral change.
- A trigger is any stimulus that may impact our behavior. @coachgoldsmith
- Almost all of us have a great plan of what we want to be in life but don’t implement it well. @coachgoldsmith
- Every day we are barraged by triggers in our environment that throw us off target. @coachgoldsmith
- Our environments are often willpower reduction machines. @coachgoldsmith
- We overestimate our willpower abilities and underestimate our need for help. @coachgoldsmith
- Our default reaction in life is not to find happiness or meaning; it is inertia. @coachgoldsmith
- If we don’t challenge ourselves inertia kicks in and we just keep doing what we’ve been doing. @coachgoldsmith
- Most of us spend more time planning vacation than then we do planning our lives. @coachgoldsmith
- Sometimes what we need to preserve is more important than what we need to change. @coachgoldsmith
- Before doing anything, ask yourself “Am I willing to make the investment required to make the change.” @coachgoldsmith
- If you can develop a mastery over your emotions, you have created power in your life to do anything. @rory_vaden
- You must set up your environment for success. @rory_vaden
- Focus on daily activities, not long-term results. @rory_vaden
- Be mindful of the daily activities you are doing and let the results be a byproduct. @rory_vaden
- You must have accountability to create change. @rory_vaden
- Embrass consistency over intensity. @rory_vaden
- Doing the things you don’t want to do is the path to getting the life you want. @rory_vaden
- Self-discipline creates freedom; Self-control creates power. @r0ry_vaden
This is a special extended interview! Send an email to RoryPodcast@gmail.com with your first name in the subject line to gain access!
Find more on Dr. Goldsmith or grab a copy of Triggers visit: Marshallgoldsmith.com
The Action Catalyst is a weekly podcast hosted by Rory Vaden of Southwestern Consulting every Wednesday. The show is regularly in the Top 25 of Business News Podcasts, has listeners from all around the world and shares “insights and inspiration to help you take action.” Each week Rory shares ideas on how to increase your self-discipline and make better use of your time to help you achieve your goals in life. He also interviews special expert guests and thought leaders. Subscribe on iTunes and please leave a rating and review!