Tom Rath is a researcher, author, and filmmaker who studies the role of human behavior in business, health, and well-being. He has been described by business leaders and the media as one of the greatest thinkers and nonfiction writers of his generation.
Tom has written six New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestsellers over the past decade, starting with the #1 New York Times bestseller How Full Is Your Bucket? In 2016, his book StrengthsFinder 2.0 was listed by amazon.com as the top selling non-fiction book of all time. Tom’s bestsellers include Strengths Based Leadership, Wellbeing, and Eat Move Sleep: How Small Choices Lead to Big Changes. In total, his books have sold more than 6 million copies and have made more than 300 appearances on the Wall Street Journal bestseller list.
Tom’s latest bestseller, Are You Fully Charged? The Three Keys to Energizing Your Work and Life is receiving acclaim as “Rath’s best book yet”. Tom also hosts Fully Charged, a feature-length documentary film which explores the key elements of energizing one’s work and life through personal stories and interviews with the world’s leading social scientists. He has also written two children’s books, How Full Is Your Bucket? for Kids and The Rechargeables.
In addition to his work as a researcher, writer, and speaker, Tom serves as a senior scientist for and advisor to Gallup, where he previously spent thirteen years leading the organization’s work on employee engagement, strengths, leadership, and well-being. He is also a scientific advisor to Welbe, a startup focused on wearable technology.
- Often companies don’t pay attention to the contribution they make in their employees lives. @TomCRath
- We have to find ways throughout the day to connect what we’re doing with why we’re doing it. @TomCRath
- The best way to find happiness is to focus on the things you can do for other people. @TomCRath
- Meaning is something you get from any effort you make for another person. @TomCRath
- You must be able to meet your own basic needs to be of value in serving other people. @TomCRath
- One of the single most valuable thing a leader can do is simply ask a question and genuinely listen to the response. @TomCRath
- You can’t be fully effective as a leader if you don’t see the growth of your employee as an end In and of itself. @TomCRath
- Sleep is probably the most underestimated critical business element. @TomCRath
- One thing we all have within our power is to make better choices beginning today. @TomCRath
- In our pursuit of happiness, we end up with a life devoid of meaning.@rory_vaden
- Happiness comes from the service of other people.@rory_vaden
- Meaning comes from being valuable to your fellow humans.@rory_vaden
- The act of giving creates joy. @rory_vaden
- It is a high service to other to be your highest self. @rory_vaden
To find more information or grab a copy of one of Tom’s books, visit: tomrath.org
This is a special extended interview! Send an email to RoryPodcast@gmail.com with your first name in the subject line to gain access!
The Action Catalyst is a weekly podcast hosted by Rory Vaden of Southwestern Consulting every Wednesday. The show is regularly in the Top 25 of Business News Podcasts, has listeners from all around the world and shares “insights and inspiration to help you take action.” Each week Rory shares ideas on how to increase your self-discipline and make better use of your time to help you achieve your goals in life. He also interviews special expert guests and thought leaders. Subscribe on iTunes and please leave a rating and review!